Position: Business Manager
Supervisor: Managing Director
Subordinates: Business Development Executives, Commercial Media Co-Ordinator
Job Location: Broadcasting House, Douglas, Isle of Man.
The role of the Business Manager is to maximise and develop the Manx Radio’s commercial affairs in accordance with the policies and objectives of the Company. The Business Manager will be responsible for managing the Business Team who act as the interface to Manx Radio in all commercial dealings, in accordance with the policies and objectives of the Company.
Responsibilities of the Post.
• To drive the commercial and business affairs functions
• To manage the staff and contractors in relation to the above functions
• To set, in accordance with the Managing Director; commercial, financial and administrative objectives
• To manage budgets as allocated
• To provide written business reports as required to Senior Management and the Board of Directors
• To liaise as necessary with other senior managers to ensure the successful execution of the above responsibilities
• To ensure that the activities of the whole Business team always comply with Manx Radio Financial Regulations and other company policies
• To manage the functions of the Business team with the goal of meeting/exceeding station revenue, prospecting and new business targets.
• To oversee advertising sales activities and to be accountable for the Business team achieving/ exceeding targeted advertising sales revenues for the market
• To translate market and station business strategies into specific actions to generate sales and revenue.
• To sets sales goals and guide subsequent goal-setting processes.
• To oversee management of available advertising inventory to drive most profitable sales.
• To direct sales activities and processes that generate new business and deepen existing relationships.
• To ensure the adoption of high professional standards and integrity in the execution of commercial and administrative affairs to maintain the good reputation of Manx Radio.
• To prepare budgets and revenue forecasts alongside the Managing Director.
• To ensure all sales and marketing expenses are in line with relevant budgets
• Drives results through others, manages team performance and holds team accountable against business objectives.
• Recruits, hires and ensures ongoing training and development of Business Development Executives
• To develop and implement a training programme with all members of the Business team to enable both business continuity in the absence of the Business Manager (holiday periods/sickness etc), and to prepare for the eventual succession of the role.
• To oversee contractors that work alongside the Business Team (such as commercial production).
• To work alongside the Controller of Programming & Content to ensure that the departments work together to deliver commercial opportunities.
• To ensure practices are compliant with Manx Radio’s obligations under its broadcasting license and other constitutional framework.
• To ensure that the administrative and accounting records are properly maintained.
• To oversee the management of client accounts in debt to Manx Radio.
• To give verbal and written reports to the Senior Management and Board of Directors, attending Board meetings when required
• Strong understanding of broadcasting, marketing, sponsorship, promotion, and collection standards
• Proven ability to grow new business and find new revenue opportunities
• Excellent leadership and coaching ability; can successfully coach others in sales, marketing and business practices
• Deep understanding of local markets, customers, and competitors in order to target needs and drive sales
• Can create productive, long-term customer relationships.
• Adept as entrepreneurial self-starter
• Excellent ability to organise , prioritise, and multi task
• Can push self and others to achieve and excel in a fast-paced dynamic environment
• Excellent business and people decision-making skills
• Can model positive energy and handle stress in the face of challenges, deadlines and financial pressures
• Excellent communication and influencing skills across multiple groups
• Excellent interpersonal skills and collaboration with others
• Proficient in budget setting and dealing with company finances.
Education & Experience
• Good general level of education.
• Qualifications in English, mathematics and communication.
• Minimum of 5 years sales management experience preferable.
• Minimum of 10 years sales experience
• Account profiling and development.
• Contract negotiation and delivery.
• Operated in the media environment dealing in the sales and development of advertising and promotional activities.
• Target planning and monitoring.
• Clean driving licence.
To apply for this position, please email your CV and a covering letter to Ruby Goodall, Human Resources Executive at firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications: 04th August 2020.