On Air The Afternoon Show Alex Brindley | 3:00pm - 5:30pm

No battery in smoke alarm!

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus tackled an incident in Bride early this morning (Thursday).

Crews were called to a heavily smoke-logged property in Ayre View just after midnight, and discovered a pan which had been left on a cooker.

The fire was out by the time they arrived, but they spent around 20 minutes removing the smoke from the building, using 'positive pressure ventilation equipment'.

There were no injuries, but the Fire and Rescue Service says it was yet another example of a property with a smoke alarm that wasn't working.

In this case no batteries were fitted which, say fire officers, could have been much more serious for the occupants.

The Fire and Rescue Service is continuing to offer free home safety visits and the number to ring to make an appointment is 647303.

More from Isle of Man News