On Air The Late Show Stu Peters | 10:00pm - 1:00am

Bus depot fire sparks callout

Smoke seen coming out of ventilation system

Fire crews spent 40 minutes at Douglas bus station last night after a fire broke out in its ventilation system. 

A bus driver who noticed a plume of smoke at the site on Lake Road raised the alarm at 10.20pm and fire crews switched off the heating system after seeing the smoke emerging from a flue. 

Firefighters using a thermal imaging camera confirmed the fire had gone out and had probably been caused by a build-up of soot. 

Fire crews made sure the depot was safe and secure and recommended having the system checked by a heating engineer before the boilers were switched back on.

More from Isle of Man News