On Air Alex in The Afternoon Alex Brindley | 3:00pm - 5:30pm

Busy evening for fire Island fire crews

Fire crews on the Island had two call outs in quick succession yesterday evening (Fri 12th)

At 7pm crews from Douglas station went to a house in Willaston after a neighbour of the property reported a smell of burning.

The householders met fire crews at the scene and it was discovered a pan had been left on a hob in the kitchen, filling the entire house with smoke.

Fortunately, no-one was injured and the house was fully ventilated by crews before they left the incident.

An hour later (8pm) crews from Castletown and Port Erin attended a similar incident in Ballabeg after a smoke alarm had alerted residents in the area.

Fire crew wearing breathing apparatus entered a smoke-filled bungalow and found a small fire on the hob. This was quickly extinguished and again the property was fully ventilated. The occupier of the bungalow was checked by paramedics for the effects of smoke inhalation.

Neighbours in both cases have been praised for their quick actions which saved much more serious damage and possible loss of life.

Fire safety officers are reminding householders once again of the importance of checking smoke detectors are fitted and working, having an escape plan from your house in the event of a fire and never leaving pots or grill pans unattended.


More from Isle of Man News