On Air Alex in The Afternoon Alex Brindley | 3:00pm - 5:30pm

Cigarette warning after gorse fire

Quick-thinking pair thanked for bravery

Fire crews have thanked two people who prevented a major woodland fire in the west of the Island.

The duo were out working in the Arrasey Plantation in Patrick on Monday evening when they discovered a section of gorse ablaze.

Firefighters from Peel were called, who extinguished the flames - but not before it had been largely contained by the 'quick-thinking' individuals.

While it's not known what ignited the bushes, staff have reminded the public of some countryside fire safety tips.

As summer approaches, they say, many areas will be dry and prone to ignition - so open fires, cigarette ends and glass bottles should all be treated with caution and responsibility.

More from Isle of Man News