On Air Late Lunch Christy Dehaven & Howard Caine | 1:00pm - 3:00pm

Emergency crews called to tumble dryer fire

IOM Fire & Rescue issue safety guidance to public

Advice on tumble dryer safety is being given out by IOM Fire and Rescue after crews were called out to a blaze caused by one.

Two major appliances from Douglas station responded to a property fire in Wybourn Drive, Onchan on Friday evening (20).  

On arrival, crews discovered the contents of a tumble dryer on fire, which were quickly extinguished.
 
IOM Fire and Rescue would like to remind the public of the following advice for safe use of tumble dryers;

- Remove the lint from the trap after every load of clothes dried.

- Do not cover the vent or any other opening.

- Ensure the vent pipe is free of kinks and is not crushed in any way.

- Only use recommended vent pipes, and not improvised ones.

- Ensure there is ample ventilation around the area of the dryer.

- Do not put rags or materials into your tumble dryer if they have been used to soak up flammable liquids, cooking oils or other oil-based products.  

More from Isle of Man News