On Air Early Breakfast Chris Williams | 5:00am - 7:30am

Minister calls on depts to discuss horse trams

Phil Gawne keen to have a discussion after service scrapped

The Infrastructure Minister has called for relevant departments and agencies to meet next week to discuss the Douglas horse trams.

The decision to cease the 140-year-old service was announced by Douglas Borough Council on Friday (January 22).

Chief Minister Allan Bell has said the question of government stepping in to run the horse trams, is not an option.

However DOI Minister Phil Gawne says it's important to have a discussion.

The Department of Infrastructure has confirmed promenade regeneration work is still set to start towards the end of this year on the two-mile stretch, if planning is approved by the Council of Ministers.

The DOI says despite the loss, the plans will still include space for a single track, should it be reinstated in the future.

CoMin is awaiting a report from an independent inspector, who conducted a public inquiry into the plans in November last year.

The report is expected in February. 

More from Isle of Man News