People asked to 'choose well' and avoid ED if possible
Noble’s Hospital is under ‘extreme pressure’ due to the number of people who attended for emergency treatment overnight and who needed admission for further treatment.
It’s currently operating at OPEL 4 status –the highest rating on the Operational Pressure Escalation Levels system – with ‘limited capacity’ to accommodate them.
People are now being urged not to use the Emergency Department unless they need to and to choose other options if possible.
Urgent and emergency care will continue to be provided there with people being treated in order of clinical priority.
Manx Care says a ‘clearly defined plan’ has been activated to manage this and ensure patient safety is maintained at all times.
Operations Director Oliver Radford said: “The OPEL framework is used daily across the UK NHS to describe the operating pressures on a hospital and is a recognised framework for managing patient flow and demand across acute healthcare settings.
“I hope this will reassure members of the public that this position is being closely managed to ensure patient safety is maintained.
“If anyone requires urgent and emergency care, they should attend Noble’s Hospital as planned and they will receive treatment - I would like to reassure members of the public of that.
“However if you can be seen at another facility, please choose well and attend the facility which is most appropriate for your clinician condition.”
- Minor Injuries and Illnesses Unit: The Minor Injuries and Illnesses Unit at Ramsey Cottage Hospital will operate an X-ray service between 9am and 5pm today and tomorrow. The MIIU can treat a range of conditions. The facility is open until 8pm.
- The Manx Emergency Doctor Service (MEDS): A GP service which operates out of hours when the Island’s GP surgeries are closed (01624 650355)
- Community Pharmacies: The rota for which can be found HERE.
- The Community Dental Service: For patients who have a dental emergency but don’t have their own dentist (01624 642785)
- Self-care: Self-treatment at home