On Air The Saturday Social Simon Quine | 10:30am - 12:30pm

Poor performance in blanket tests

There were some worrying results from a recent safety initiative, in which fire officers tested electric blankets.

Forty-nine per cent of those examined posed a potential fire risk.

A total of 321 electric blankets were checked at fire stations in Ramsey, Port Erin and Douglas.

The company which carried out the tests was Gems Southwest Limited.

Managing Director Clive MacDonald told Manx Radio people don't get them checked often enough:

"Unfortunately people don't have them tested bi-annually as they should do, they are on the bed and people basically forget about them.

"It can be dangerous, particularly the older ones, because most of them have no form of over-heat protection, so if they went faulty you could have a nasty accident, i.e. a fire."

People whose blankets failed the test have been offered vouchers to buy replacements.

Story to feature on Wednesday morning's Mandate. 

(Image: Clive MacDonald carries out a safety check on an electric blanket).


Clip 1

More from Isle of Man News