Beware the silent killer - carbon monoxide.
That is the message to Island residents, as many of us turn our gas fires and boilers on again for the first time since last winter.
You can't see, taste or smell carbon monoxide - but it can kill if it builds up in the home.
Old gas appliances are of most concern - so the message is, get them serviced by a qualified CORGI gas engineer.
The Department of Local Government is running a series of road shows around the Island offering practical advice.
Minister John Shimmin (pictured) says with the right information, people can ensure their own safety this winter:
The next roadshow will be in Castletown Town Hall on Friday - November 9th.