On Air Saturday Night Live Mike Reynolds | 10:00pm - 1:00am

Suggestions rally is unsafe 'unfair' says Rally IOM Chairman

Event will return next year

The Chairman of Rally Isle of Man says he's confident that next year's event WILL take place.

John Gill was speaking after it was announced yesterday (Sun 2) that Rally IOM 2018 has been cancelled.

The 18 stage event had been scheduled to take place on the 13-15 of this month.

A statement blamed 'insurmountable delays' in the Department of Infrastructure approving road closures.

In July, there was uncertainty over the 2018 event after those behind it were asked to demonstrate a commitment to 'a series of conditions' issued by the DOI.

Speaking on Mandate this morning (Mon 3/09), Mr Gill says believes suggestions the event was unsafe are unfair, as it has shown itself to be safely run over the years.

 Organisers say full entry fee refunds will be given to those who were due to take part.

More from Isle of Man News