On Air Afternoon Show Chris Quirk | 3:00pm - 5:30pm

Swine flu procedures 'stood down'

The Department of Health and Social Security has told all organisations that they can 'stand down' their swine flu procedures.

In the Isle of Man, no new cases have been reported since late last month and the number of cases is dropping in the UK, Europe and North America.

At a meeting of the Joint Committee on Vaccination & Immunisation (JCVI) held in London on January 8, it was agreed that a third wave of infection was extremely unlikely.

The World Health Organisation’s alert level remains at level six but this is due to outbreaks in Eastern Europe, North Africa and parts of Asia, as the WHO takes into account the situation globally.

The Director of Public Health, Dr Parameswaran Kishore says even though the swine flu status has changed, the public can be 'assured we will of course continue to monitor the situation closely'.

He says if there is any sign of a further increase in swine flu cases, Public Health will issue appropriate alerts.

More from Isle of Man News