On Air Saturday Breakfast Kim Quine | 6:00am - 8:00am

Tram service delayed by fire on cliffside

Members of the public are being warned not to burn large amounts of material in garden bonfires.

The advice has been issued by the Fire and Rescue Service after a blaze got out of control in Laxey.

Two fire engines were sent to the incident, on Old Laxey Hill at 2.45pm on Tuesday, after flames spread from a garden fire to bracken and vegetation on the cliffside.

Because of the location, crews had difficulty tackling the blaze and had to use several water jets, drawing supplies from a hydrant.

Hose lines had to be placed along the track of the Manx Electric Railway, which caused delays to the tram service.

Crews stayed on the scene for six hours, damping down and checking for fires.

There were no injuries.

More from Isle of Man News