HSBC says £68 million lost to scams in 2020 in UK
People are being urged to protect themselves against 'romance fraud' this Valentine's Day.
HSBC has issued the advice after a surge in scams has been reported around online dating sites and apps during lockdown.
It says there's been a 20 per cent rise in bank transfers related to the con.
HSBC says in the UK £68 million was lost to such scams in 2020.
The company has provided the following list of 'red flags' to look out for:
• They work overseas in the armed forces or for a charity
• They promise to relocate to live with you, but constantly delay the move date
• They quickly show strong romantic feelings without meeting you face to face
• They regularly ask to borrow money with the promise to repay, often for urgent or unseen reasons
• They mention investment opportunities with low risk and high returns