On Air Greatest Hits Chris Kinley | 6:30pm - 9:00pm

FC Isle of Man beat Wythenshawe to end winless streak

Photo Credit: Gary Weightman/Vannin Photos

McVey penalty sees Ravens overcome in-form visitors

FC Isle of Man ended a run of seven games without a win as they secured a gritty 1-0 victory over an in-form Wythenshawe FC at The Bowl this evening (30 September).

The visitors threatened most in the first half forcing two important stops from FC IoM 'keeper, Ben Wilkinson, whilst Wythenshawe's Ryan Shenton had a long-range finish disallowed.

Having had few chances, FC Isle of Man took the lead on 49 minutes through a calm Jack McVey penalty after Wythenshawe's Fraser Goodwin was judged to have handled the ball in the penalty area.

In a feisty second period Wythenshawe were unable to break down a stubborn Ravens side who would take the three points and a first clean sheet for nearly a month.

Tonight's clash saw both sides head out at The Bowl in contrasting form - FC Isle of Man aiming to claim victory for the first time since 26 August whilst high-flying Wythenshawe started the evening just two points off the league summit.

True to recent form, it was Wythenshawe who started the brighter with Saul Henderson's low effort on the edge of the box forcing a low save from Wilkinson in the opening five minutes.

Wilkinson was called into action again in the ninth minute as a Samuel Dickov cross was met six yards out by Edward Brown whose low header was tipped round the right post by Wilkinson.

The first 45 saw Wythenshawe asking the questions with FC Isle of Man struggling to make inroads in attack and the Manchester-based outfit thought they'd taken the lead in the first minute of first-half stoppage time.

A clever low corner from Bryan Ly found Ryan Shenton on the edge of the box and he rifled his first-time effort past a rooted Wilkinson, but celebrations were short-lived as the goal was quickly chalked off with a Wythenshawe player adjudged to have impeded the view of Wilkinson in the area.

Goalless at the break and Wythenshawe again started the second period brightly but all changed on 49 minutes when FC Isle of Man's Jacob Crook attempted a cross from the left flank which was stopped by the arm of Wythenshawe's Fraser Goodwin, seeing referee, Christopher Willan, point to the spot.

Jack McVey then stepped up from 12 yards and with a stuttering run dispatched his spot-kick into the bottom left corner of Wythenshawe stopper, Maxwell Povey's net.

The Ravens nearly doubled their lead with 66 minutes played as Crook unleashed a powerful half-volley at the near left post which was parried by Povey before Crook was denied again by Povey on a headed rebound.

Meanwhile, Wythenshawe came close to levelling four minutes after as a low cross from the right found Henderson six yards out, but his first-time strike was deflected over the crossbar by FC Isle of Man's Ryan Burns.

With nine minutes of normal time left, Shenton nearly came close to finding the net again from an Adam Owen cross from the left but, from six yards, Shenton sliced his volley well wide of Wilkinson's right post.

In a feisty second-half which saw cards produced for either side in a competitive midfield battle, FC Isle of Man were able to stem the Wythenshawe tide in the closing stages to hold out for the narrow victory.

FC Isle of Man's next match will be away against Charnock Richard this coming Tuesday (3 October), kicking-off at 7.45pm.


Man of the Match: Jacob Crook (FC Isle of Man)

More from Isle of Man Sport