On Air Night Flight | Midnight - 6:00am

Rushen's Railway Cup hopes in tatter

Champions hit nine

Rushen’s Railway Cup hopes are in tatters after they were hammered by Old Boys in the Canada Life Premier League on Saturday.

The Blackberry Lane side turned on the style with a comprehensive 5-1 success at Blackberry Lane.

An early goal from Chris Coxon set them on their way and from then on the hosts were in determined form.

Gary Quirk (two), young substitute Aaron Hislop and David Quirk were also on the scoresheet as Old Boys continued their return to form – even though it has come too late for their own Railway Cup bid.

Regular marksman Mike Williams notched the consolation for Rushen who now seem to have missed their chance.

Corinthians moved closer to qualification with a 5-2 success at Douglas Athletic.

They had the match won during a dominant first half in which they scored three times without reply.

Dan Simpson hit the opener before Josh Ridings, Steve Whitley – with a free-kick - Rauri Mooney and Shaun Doyle (penalty) put the gloss on the scoreline for Corinthians.

Josh Green and Martin Cowin replied for newly promoted Athletic.

Two sides who had faint qualification hopes, Laxey and St John’s, shared six goals in a thriller at Glen Road.

Sean Kelly (two) and Fraser Vaughan were on target for the Miners who had a last-minute goal disallowed.

Sam Ingham, later sent off for two bookings, was one of the St John’s scorers with Andrew Chadwick marking a fine performance with a double to earn his side a point.

Reigning champions St George’s enjoyed another goalfest with a 9-2 home romp against Union Mills.

The leaders hit five before the break and another four in the second period in a one-sided encounter.

Joe Quayle, 16 year-old debutant Carl Henson, Callum Morrisey, Frank Jones and Furo Davies were among their scorers.

Darren Smethurst was the scorer for Mills who also benefited from an own goal.

St Mary’s overcame hard working Colby 4-1 to stay in second spot.

Their player of the season so far, Darren Hudgeon, led the way with a brace with Harry Weatherill and Brian Crellin also finding the net.

Karl Hickey was the Colby scorer.

More from Isle of Man Sport