On Air One to Three Chris Quirk | 1:00pm - 3:00pm

Vikings A edge seven-goal title thriller

Late Wilson winner condemns Bacchas to defeat

The PWC Mixed Premier League match between Vikings A and Bacchas A was billed by many as being the game of the season in the PWC Premier League, and with the game being moved midweek it allowed the excitement and expectation to build up to new levels.

A healthy crowd descended upon the NSC to watch their team battle it out.

A collective breath was taken just before the push back with everyone knowing this was going to be a fast-paced game, and the opening 10 minutes didn’t disappoint with an edgy but fierce opening salvo from Bacchas, rewarding them with two short corners.

Unfortunately they were unable to convert and from there Vikings began to exert a small amount of control.

A Vikings break forward in numbers culminated in a crash ball into the D with Tim Henderson getting the slightest of touches on the ball to deflect it away from the Bacchas goalkeeper and into the back of the net.

This began a period of dominance for Vikings and they were soon rewarded with two short corners and although they didn’t score either of them, Vikings continued to push and prod at the Bacchas defence.

Vikings soon carved open the Bacchas defence once more with Rob Pritchard sliding a through ball to Kim Carney who was able to finish her chance to put Vikings into an early 2-0 lead.

Once Vikings scored that second goal Bacchas seemed to up their tempo, led by Captain Fantastic Jamie Brown who yet again dragged his team forward to get a goal.

This almost immediately brought reward with Karl Moore turning the Vikings goalkeeper inside out with some great stick skills before finding the net.

It appeared to rejuvenate Bacchas, and the last 15 minutes of the first half was almost all one way traffic.
Once William Blake received a green card and a two-minute sin bin Vikings were under even more pressure but did well to earn a short corner just as he returned to action.

It wasn’t converted and Bacchas were able to break out and immediately attacked earning themselves a short corner.

Although the short corner got a bit scruffy Vikings were unable to clear their lines properly and up pops Jaimie Brown to nick the equaliser.

Bacchas were really in the ascendancy now and Vikings did well to hold on until half time at 2-2.

Vikings started the second half the better side and controlled possession in the opening five minutes well.

This control was very quickly rewarded with a second goal from Vikings skipper Kim Carney to make it 3-2 to Vikings.

Again this seemed to bring the best out of Bacchas who were starting to build some possession and it was Brown who scored to drag Bacchas back level once again.

Gaps in the Bacchas back line started to emerge as their defenders started to pour forward, and Vikings exploited this to earn themselves another short corner.

They knew this was their chance to regain the lead and up stepped Tom Wilson to fire the ball directly into the back of the net past a flailing David Whiting.

Bacchas failed to convert any one of a number of late short corners as they fell to what could prove to be a crucial defeat in this season’s title race.

More from Isle of Man Sport