Natural phenomenon 'generally non-toxic'
The sea turned red in Laxey earlier this week.
An algal bloom occurred, turning the water red as it lapped onto the beach.
Algal blooms are a natural phenomenon and not uncommon around parts of the Island at this time of year, during calm, warm conditions.
They are generally non-toxic, but can attract other organisms such as Jellyfish, which feed on the algae.
As a result bathers are advised to avoid swimming through patches of high discolouration.
In the evening the algae can put on a fairly spectacular light show along the shoreline, known scientifically as bioluminescence.
On the downside it can produce an unpleasant, fishy smell.