Cannan has written to the President of Tynwald confirming his intention
The Chief Minister is to move a 'motion of public importance' in Tynwald tomorrow (16 May).
It will immediately follow an 'urgent statement' given by the Minister for Health and Social Care regarding the outcome of the Dr Rosalind Ranson employment tribunal.
Alfred Cannan is to set the wheels in motion for an independent review into the management by the Isle of Man Government of the Ranson versus Department of Health and Social Care employment case.
He is to move that a 'Select Committee of three members of Tynwald be established to appoint a retired High Court Judge or King’s Counsel or person of similar standing' to undertake the review.
The motion also sets out that the terms of reference for the review should be drafted by the Committee to enable the appointment and then reviewed in consultation with the person appointed to conduct the review and brought to Tynwald for approval.
Additionally, the terms of reference should include:
- the interaction between the Department of Health and Social Care, the Attorney General’s Chambers, independent legal advisers and the Cabinet Office during the full course of the Tribunal
- the relevant conduct of the Department of Health and Social Care highlighted by the Employment and Equality Tribunal in the liability judgement
- the conduct of the Isle of Man Government during the litigation process
- consideration of access to all documentation in the context of legal professional privilege
- what balance should be sought between evidence taken in public and in private
May's sitting of the Island's parliament gets underway at 10:30am.
You can follow live coverage on Manx Radio AM 1368, DAB, online and on smartphone apps.