A fire at a compost centre in St John's could burn for days or even weeks, according to the Island's Fire and Rescue service. The blaze at Ballaneven Compost is thought to have begun last Tuesday when materials spontaneously combusted. The fire service says smoke from the fire on the hillside above Tynwald Mills has been visible for miles, whipped up by strong winds. Precautions have been taken to protect buildings, land and livestock in the area and the fire has been overseen by Ballaneven staff. The fire service says it doesn't pose any risk, but could continue to burn for some time yet.