On Air Manx Radio Breakfast Ben Hartley | 6:00am - 9:00am

‘Cover-up’: Details of ‘peaceful protest’ at prison disputed

Tuesday, 18 August 2026 06:25

By Siobhan Fletcher

Picture credit: Manx Radio

Questions raised around how events unfolded at Jurby facility

The Department of Home Affairs has been accused of being 'disingenuous' over claims that a protest at the Isle of Man Prison last week was 'peaceful'. 

Seven days after it took place the details of what happened, at the facility in Jurby, are still unclear.

What is known is that last Tuesday morning (11 August) several prisoners refused to leave the exercise yard, and return to their cells, at the conclusion of their allotted time.

Beyond that the events of the day are in dispute.

Manx Radio has spoken to a number of sources with a connection to the prison who argue that the 'official' version of events, as described by the Department of Home Affairs, is 'disingenuous' and 'fabricated'.

Some are now calling for an independent investigation into the running of the site.

TIMELINE

Manx Radio contacted the Department of Home Affairs to confirm reports of unrest at the prison and to seek clarity over whether it was as a result of prisoners spending up to 23 hours a day in their cells due to low staffing levels.

We asked:

  • If prisoners have staged/are staging a protest at the Isle of Man Prison and the current status of this activity?
  • Is there truth to the reports we have received that prisoners are refusing to return to their cells?
  • Is the situation now under control?
  • Is there any risk to the safety of prisoners, prison staff or the public from the protest activity?
  • If this protest is as a result of the required staffing levels to maintain the prison environment?
  • Details of the staffing levels required to maintain the prison at a safe level?
  • What is the current policy with regards to prisoners being allowed out of their cells daily?
  • How many hours are prisoners in their cells on average?

We also asked for an interview with the Prison Governor, and Head of Probation Service, Leroy Bonnick.

In response a DHA spokesperson said: "The prison are dealing with an isolated passive incident involving a small number of prisoners.

"We cannot comment on ongoing incidents for security reasons."

On Wednesday (12 August) a further statement was released by the DHA.

It confirmed that negotiators were used to help resolve the 'peaceful' protest which had come to a conclusion by 10pm on Tuesday evening.

The spokesperson said: "A small number of prisoners took part in a peaceful protest yesterday declining to return to their cells from the exercise yard.

"This was resolved safely by 10pm with no injuries to staff or prisoners.

"We take the wellbeing of those in our care seriously and prisoners were offered food, water and medication throughout.

"Staff will continue to engage with those prisoners regarding their concerns.

"We are grateful to the many prison staff who worked throughout the day and into the evening to deal with this isolated incident in a professional and safe manner."

'DISINGENUOUS'

However, the assertion that the protest was peaceful - and about the provision of food, water and medication - were then disputed by several sources.

One source told Manx Radio that the water supply to the lower levels of the prison was turned off and no food, water or medication was offered.

They described reporting as 'totally fabricated'.

Another backed up this assertion saying the water supply was cut off to the lower floor cells as other inmates inside the prison were attempting to funnel water to the yard.

Another source told us the protest was 'anything but peaceful'.

They said significant prison property was damaged in the incident describing it as 'luck' there were no injuries.

“It feels very much like a cover up is taking place.”

- Anonymous

One person told Manx Radio: "It is completely disingenuous of the department to suggest that the protest was resolved peacefully using negotiators.

"First of all, it wasn’t just a small number of prisoners - it involved more than 10 percent of the current prison population.

"Yes, negotiators were used but it was only brought to an end after the protestors had caused serious damage to prison property and 30+ armed prison officers, dressed in riot gear, stormed A-wing exercise yard and stopped the protest by force. 

"It feels very much like a cover up is taking place to protect the chief executive and the current prison management from the genuine concerns raised by the protesters regarding the current state of the failing Isle of Man Prison."

Manx Radio has also been told PAVA incapacitant spray - a synthetic pepper spray - was used to bring inmates back under control and that several prisoners were placed in segregation as a result.

These accounts were backed up by a source whose son is one of the prisoners currently in segregation.

Manx Radio has chosen to protect his anonymity.

He says the core issue is the 'excessive' amount of time prisoners are currently being forced to stay in their cells:

CHARGES

Manx Radio has also been told that charges have been brought against five men deemed to be the main instigators of the protest.

These are allegedly for 'inciting' the protest, damage caused to windows, attempts to start fires on the property, and attempting to abscond from the prison.

However it's been alleged that upon showing a charge sheet to an advocate one family was told 'outside charges' couldn't reasonably be brought, 'because they've put it all over the media that this was a peaceful protest, that ended with a peaceful outcome, so to even start charging people is laughable because you're contradicting yourself with what you've said'.

Manx Radio has approached the Isle of Man Constabulary to confirm if any criminal charges have been brought - we are awaiting a response.

RESPONSE

After receiving the aforementioned reports, disputing the statements made by government, Manx Radio again approached the DHA.

We, again, requested an interview with Mr Bonnick and asked for clarification of the following questions:

  • Was the protest peaceful in its entirety?
  • What damages were caused at the prison site?
  • Was PAVA spray used on inmates?
  • What is the status now of the inmates who took part?
  • Was this protest as a result of the required staffing levels to maintain the prison environment?
  • [Can you confirm the] details of the staffing levels required to maintain the prison at a safe level?
  • What is the current policy with regards to prisoners being allowed out of their cells daily?
  • How many hours are prisoners in their cells on average?

In response a spokesperson for the department told Manx Radio: "After a peaceful protest, which involved concerted indiscipline, the relevant prisoners were returned to prison cells.

"Prison officers using specialist equipment and tactics were deployed but there were no injuries to either staff or prisoners.

"There was damage to prison property which is being addressed.

"We don't comment on prison staffing levels for security reasons."

INDEPENDENT INQUIRY

There are now calls for an independent investigation to be undertaken at the Jurby facility.

Wider concerns have been raised to Manx Radio surrounding the management of the site and the challenges it faces including staffing levels.

One source told us: "It's another thing, you've had three deaths in there over the last few years, and they said they're going to stop using plastic bags [in cells]. None of those things have actually happened.

"The place is run horribly and I'm not saying that's down to staff, it's definitely down to management.

"Some of the staff are actually brilliant but they're few and far between.

"It needs an independent investigation, again, because the last time they had an inspector over, there were so many things wrong with the place, and none of these things have changed since."

INSPECTIONS

The last full, unannounced, inspection of the prison by His Majesty's Inspectorate of Prisons took place in 2023.

An independent review of progress was then carried out between 30 April and 2 May 2024.

In August 2024 the Coroner of Inquests recommended 'regular inspections' at the facility following the deaths of a number of inmates.

It is not known when the next planned inspection will be. 

INVITATION

Manx Radio’s interview invitation to the prison governor, and Department of Home Affairs, remains open.

More from Isle of Man News