Concerns after huge gorse fire in Onchan
The Island’s Fire and Rescue Service is reminding people to be extra careful with campfire and barbecues after as spate of grassfires in hot dry weather.
Yesterday afternoon, firefighters were called to deal with a large fire at Groudle Glen – at its height four crews from Douglas and Laxey were called in to tackle it.
The incident happened at around 4.20pm and saw flames spread quickly along the headland after a disposable barbecue sparked the blaze.
Because the location is so isolated, it took firefighters two and half hours to damp down the 200 square meters involved.
The Fire and Rescue Service are asking people to be extra vigilant with campfires and barbecues – you should never leave them unattended.
There advice is to be careful where you use them and keep water available nearby in case you need to douse the fire.