On Air Night Flight | 1:00am - 5:00am

Gas leak triggers flats emergency

Residents flee after mains leak ignites

Residents at a Douglas apartment block, evacuated early today after a gas escape sparked a blaze, have been allowed back into their homes.

Emergency services were called to the property in Clybane Road, Farmhill at 7.25 am after reports of an explosion.

Residents, some in their night wear, left their apartments while fire crews controlled the flames and wearing breathing apparatus, isolated and shut-off the gas supply.

A mains gas leak in an external meter cupboard is thought to have ignited when the boiler in an upstairs flat switched on this morning - triggering what fire officers confirm was a small explosion.

Manx Gas engineers are repairing the main, the majority of residents have returned to their homes - while the occupants of the damaged flat have been transferred to an empty unit in the block.

MHK for Middle Howard Quayle offered reassurance to constituents at the scene and described what happened:

More from Isle of Man News