On Air Late Lunch Christy Dehaven | 1:00pm - 3:00pm

Gatherings of up to ten people to be allowed from Wednesday

Chief minister announces new measures

Gatherings of up to ten people outside are to be allowed across the Island from Wednesday (20 May).

The new measures have been announced by the Chief Minister Howard Quayle, at the media conference this afternoon.

He says the two-metre (six-foot) social distancing measure must continue to be maintained for outside visits. 

Mr Quayle says a maximum of two people from the same household will also be able to go to other households.

There is no guidance on social distancing in these circumstances but people are asked to think carefully about how they manage such gatherings.

Previously, it was recommended that time inside should be limited (recommended 15 minutes). 

Gatherings of ten people must take place outside - with the inside maximum of two.

The chief minister said "think before you hug".

Other measures announced today:

  • Camping, and campsites, can be re-introduced from Wednesday (20 May), with social distancing and a max. of ten people in one group allowed.
  • Domestic cleaners can return to work from Wednesday.
  • Libraries and auction houses can reopen from Wednesday.
  • Campervans are permitted to travel across the Island from Wednesday.
  • Children with parents in the construction, trades and horticulture sectors - who have already been permitted to send their children to hub schools - will be able to send them to nurseries as well, from Wednesday.

Listen to his outline of the new regulations on gatherings here:

More from Isle of Man News