On Air After Hours Rhian Evans | 10:00pm - Midnight

House blaze offers stark reminder of smoke danger

Fire safety chiefs are urging householders in the Island to keep doors inside their homes closed whenever possible and check smoke alarms every week.

The advice comes after a blaze engulfed the kitchen of a house in Peel yesterday, leaving much of the property severely smoke-damaged.

Crews found a dog overcome by the effects of smoke in an upstairs bedroom of the house in St Patrick's View.

Although they tried to revive the family pet, the animal died and was buried for the owners by fire fighters.

Station officer Nigel Fraser says as the blaze itself was confined to the kitchen it's a stark reminder that smoke can kill:

Clip 1

More from Isle of Man News