On Air Saturday Live Paul Moran | 12:30pm - 5:00pm

House fire ruins family's Christmas

Fire safety chiefs are urging householders in the Island to be aware of the risk posed by candles and open fires.

The warning comes after a blaze engulfed the lounge of a house in First Avenue in Onchan, causing extensive damage.

A log had tumbled from a fire, pushed over a guard and set fire to an artificial Christmas tree, while the occupant had popped out for half an hour.

Within minutes a fierce blaze had taken hold and by the time crews arrived, thick black smoke was billowing from the premises.

Although serious, closed doors helped prevent the fire spreading.

Station officer Roger Brown

 

Clip 1

More from Isle of Man News