On Air Holiday Music Kerry Gascoyne | 6:30pm - 8:15pm

Inquest hears further criticism of the Department of Health

There's been further criticism of the Department of Health over its handling of a mental health patient, who ended up taking his own life.

This morning the inquest into the death of 35-year-old Onchan man Christopher Burrows heard a written report from Dr Rajan Nathan.

He's a forensic psychiatrist from England, who has independently reviewed the case for the Department of Health.

In the report he made comments on Professor Patrick Carr's independent report the inquest heard of yesterday.

Dr Nathan agreed with Professor Carr that there were failings in the records kept on Mr Burrows by the Department of Health.

He said there was not enough exploration into the suicide attempt on June 13.

He also said there needed to be more risk assessments completed throughout the key days in June, when Mr Burrows had been at Grianagh Court mental health facility.

There was no evidence to suggest a care plan was undertaken properly.

He did not agree with Professor Carr that there were two missed opportunities for sectioning, adding there was not clear evidence to suggest compulsory admission was necessary.

However, he did say if the documentation about Mr Burrows had been kept properly, then it would have alerted staff to a heightened risk in the patient.

Coroner of Inquests John Needham adjourned proceedings until 10.30am on Monday, when he hopes to deliver a verdict.

More from Isle of Man News