On Air Late Lunch Christy Dehaven & Howard Caine | 1:00pm - 3:00pm

Karran defends decision on pre-schools

The Education Minister who oversaw the privatisation of state-run pre-schools has defended his decision.

Peter Karran successfully brought plans to transfer the Island's state-funded pre schools into private ownership, just months into his short tenure.

It was a decision which split the department and ultimately led to one member resigning and another being sacked.

Speaking in Tynwald today (Tuesday) Mr Karran said the system now in place was both fairer and more accessible than the one he inherited and a better alternative than ones considered by his predecessor Eddie Teare.

Mr Karran told Tynwald that when he was appointed Education Minister in October 2011, he was 'mortified' how much had been cut from education and that it would have been easier to decimate and close down the Island's youth service - one of the options on the table.

At the time, Mr Karran said he was also vehemently opposed to introducing tuition fees and that the pre-school privatisation would ensure that didn't happen.

The department has brought in tuition fees since Mr Karran's departure.

Tynwald received the third report and supported the recommendations of the Social Affairs Policy Review Committee 2013/14 on Pre School Education.

 

More from Isle of Man News