On Air Saturday Night Live Mike Reynolds | 10:00pm - 1:00am

Knock-back for Knockaloe projects

Plans for visitor attractions dropped

Plans to transform the site of the former WW1 internment camp at Knockaloe in the west of the Island, have been abandoned.

The Department of Environment, Food and Agriculture (DEFA) says it will not pursue any proposals to develop the site - which included visitor and heritage attractions, an education centre and local food and drink outlet. 

Organisations were invited to put forward suggestions to raise the profile of the wartime internee camp last year, after a series of public meetings and a consultation.

But none have been taken up, and the site will instead be let to agricultural tenants, the opportunity being advertised through a Douglas estate agent.

DEFA says it will adopt one suggestion from the consultation - to create a new pedestrian route through the farm.

More from Isle of Man News