Hopes 19th century building can be retained for generations
Laxey Flour Mills is being considered for protected building status.
The four-storey building has stood for more than 150 years, having first opened on 27 February, 1861.
It's survived three 'calamitous' fires in its time - the first in 1873, the second in 1921, and another in 1946.
Image: Fire at Laxey Glen Mills, iMuseum.
Despite the impact of the fires, and not to mention two world wars, the building is still in use today with the mill producing flour using solely Manx-grown grain.
Fast-forward to 2023, however, and in its annual report Laxey Glen Mills said it had 'rarely faced so many challenges in its history' - including: a global pandemic, silo failure, a one in twenty crop failure, the battle against ageing machinery and rapid cost increases.
Its losses almost doubled in a year, following the loss of its biggest client Ramsey Bakery.
Situated by Laxey Glen and the Laxey River, the mill building itself was designed by Robert Casement - the designer of the Laxey Wheel.
It's believed to have been built by John James Moore, the builder of Moore's Bridge over Glen Roy.
Inclusion onto the Protected Buildings Register would see the restriction of any future demolition, alteration or extension of the site.
Planning and Building Control is currently assessing whether the site meets the criteria for entry onto the register.
Written submissions with respect to the proposal can be made until 8 January, 2024 - to Registered Buildings Officer, Department of Environment, Food and Agriculture, Planning and Building Control Directorate, Murray House, Mount Havelock, Douglas, Isle of Man, IM1 2SF, or via email to email@example.com
You can find the notice of proposal here.