On Air The Late Show Stu Peters | 10:00pm - 1:00am

Man denies death by careless driving charge

Onchan woman was killed in October

An Onchan man has pleaded not guilty to causing the death by careless driving of a pensioner from the village.

Fifty-two-year-old Keith Edward Williams, of Maple Avenue, entered the plea when he appeared before Deputy High Bailiff Jayne Hughes at Douglas courthouse earlier today.

The prosecution told the court the incident happened at about 9.50am on 18 October this year.

Sixty-six-year-old Joan Marie Corran was pronounced dead at the scene.

Mike Jelski, prosecuting, told the court Mr Williams had been driving his white Vauxhall Vivaro van down Royal Avenue, towards its junction with Royal Drive, just before the incident.

He told police he had been distracted momentarily by a van to his left, once he had left the junction, then saw Joan Marie Corran in the road as he looked back.

Mr Williams added she had just come out of nowhere, and the low, bright sun had been in his eyes.

Deputy High Bailiff Jayne Hughes has adjourned the matter until Tuesday, 14 February, when a pre-trial review will take place.

More from Isle of Man News