On Air Manx Radio Breakfast Christy Dehaven | 6:00am - 9:00am

Manx company admits Health and Safety breach


A Manx company has been fined £125,000 after a UK care home resident choked to death on fish and chips.

Four Seasons Health Care (England) Ltd is registered in Nelson Street in Douglas and is the UK's biggest care home provider.

Preston Crown Court heard 75 year old Rita Smith was at risk of choking and should only have had pureed food.

However, in December 2010 the dementia and motor neurone disease sufferer was given fish and chips at Euxton Park Care Home during a film supper evening.

A staff member found Miss Smith slumped in her chair after the film, and a nurse’s attempts to resuscitate her were unsuccessful.

A Health and Safety Executive probe found staff who had set up the event had not been told Miss Smith could not eat solid food, despite a specialist hospital assessment being provided to the home.

The hearing was also told a care plan and risk assessment had not been completed for Miss Smith and she had been left alone to eat solid food a few days earlier.

The company admitted breaching the Health and Safety at Work Act and was fined £125,000 with £45,000 in costs.


Clip 1

More from Isle of Man News