On Air The Saturday Social Kim & Simon Quine | 10:30AM - 1:00PM

No quick decision on TV licences for over-75s on-Island

Discussions ongoing with BBC

Discussions are underway with the BBC over funding a TV licence fee concession for the over-75s from next year.

The corporation announced last week that from next June they would cease funding the licences, unless the person concerned was in receipt of a pension credit.

The Manx Retirement Association has stated that the abolition of the measure was a retrograde step in our alleged “caring society.”

Chief Minister Howard Quayle told Tynwald this morning that the decision currently only applied in the UK - not the Isle of Man or Channel Islands.

He added that the Manx government would wait and see what happened in the months ahead, before making any decisions.

And he said discussions with the BBC were still at an early stage:

More from Isle of Man News