On Air The Morning Show Marc Tyley | 9:30am - Noon

Plan for 'unique community facility' dropped

The people of Kirk Michael have spoken, and they don't want a GPs surgery in the local primary school!

In a survey conducted by the Department of Health, 38 per cent of respondants were in favour of the proposal, with the remaining 62 per cent against.

As a result, the department has confirmed it has dropped the idea and will instead seek to extend the temporary planning approval for surgery facilities at the Cannan Court elderly persons' complex in the village.

Health Minister David Anderson is disappointed by the outcome of the consultation.

He says it would have been a 'unique community facility at the heart of the village', but recognises that the majority of those who returned the questionnaire were content with the present arrangements.

More from Isle of Man News