On Air Sweet & Swing Howard Caine | 9:00pm - 10:00pm

Residents warned of silent killer

Island residents are being warned of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Fire safety chiefs say householders should consider installing C.O detectors as well as a smoke alarm in their homes.

Carbon monoxide is known as the silent killer, it's colourless and odourless and once inside the bloodstream, rapidly prevents red cells from carrying oxygen.

The Island's Fire and Rescue Service has issued the warning after a mother and child died from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning on a boat in the Lake District over the Easter weekend.

The gas is often produced by faulty or poorly ventilated appliances including boilers, stoves, wood burners and barbecues.

Fire safety officer Nigel Fraser says there have been several potentially lethal incidents in the Island recently:



Clip 1

More from Isle of Man News