Coroner of inquests John Needham has issued a stark warning about the dangers of legal highs after a 17 year-old girl overdosed on MDAI.
The drug, which can be bought over the internet, is still legal in the Isle of Man.
Tanya Louise Hughes of Gladstone Avenue, Ramsey, died in an ambulance on April 15 as she was being taken to Noble’s Hospital.
The court heard the ambulance crew had reported she’d gone into cardiac arrest between Windy Corner and the Creg-ny-Baa.
The body of the trainee customer services operator was identified by her father John Edward Hughes at Noble’s Hospital.
Today’s (Wednesday) hearing was told by consultant forensic pathologist William Lawler that Miss Hughes had died as a result of toxicity of the drug methylenedioxy 2 aminoindane.
Mr Needham heard the drug isn’t banned under the Misuse of Drugs Act and remains legal.
He said the death of a young person so close to her 18th birthday should be a warning to anyone considering taking such substances.
The case was adjourned to a date to be fixed.