Safety of students 'cannot be guaranteed' says DESC
Ongoing industrial action by a teaching union on the Island could see some pupils told to stay at home this week.
The Department of Education, Sport and Culture has issued a statement following the escalation of action by the NASUWT.
It follows an ongoing dispute over workload and pay.
The union announced it would be making the move just a week into the start of the new academic year.
On Friday the department held a meeting to ask its members to reconsider the action - which means they'll now refuse to cover break times.
The DESC says whilst it managed to find cover last week to ensure students were safe – this is no longer sustainable and means some schools might be forced to close to certain year groups this week.
It says it's deeply disappointed that the NASUWT continue to escalate action - especially after teachers received an uplift between two per cent and 7.6 per cent and was backdated to 1 September 2021.
You can find the full statement below: