Appointment made at virtual meeting
Paul Weatherall has taken over from Michael Josem as Chair of Liberal Vannin.
He stood as the Liberal Party candidate in 1979 for Harborough in Leicestershire and is a former election agent.
A declaration of principles were agreed at last night’s virtual meeting ahead of the General Election in September.
The main policies for LibVan candidates are detailed below:
• How we strengthen the Island’s finances after the Covid 19 battering.
• Supporting and developing the rural economy.
• Ensuring that an all-Island housing policy includes incentives for homeowners to improve insulation and replace their fossil fuel heating systems.
• Working with the tourist industry and holiday accommodation providers to re-vitalise the offer to visitors in innovative but sustainable ways, with particular emphasis on eco-tourism.
• Supporting changes in legislation on social issues, such as assisted dying and the personal use of cannabis.
• Bringing forward to 2040, our government’s commitment to meeting it’s zero-carbon target.
Ramsey MHK Lawrie Hooper is the only Liberal Vannin member of the House of Keys and is the party leader.