On Air After Hours Rhian Evans | 10:00pm - Midnight

Champions St George's start season with dull win

Champions St George's got the defence of their sixth premier league title in eight years off to a winning start, coming from behind to beat Peel 2-1.

In a dull match, switched from the west of the Island to Glencrutchery Road, Peel took a surprise first half lead, through an own goal from St George's keeper Grant Dawson. But Keiron McNulty equalised before half-time, and centre forward Callum Morrissey got the winner for Geordies about quarter of an hour from the end.

Old Boys, who are likely to be the Geordies' closest challengers this season, demonstrated the power and movement of their forward line with a 9-1 victory away to newly promoted Ramsey Youth Centre. Youth Centre would have hoped to make more of home advantage, particularly on their tight pitch, but were unable to stop their opponents running riot. Pick of the players for the Douglas side was new signing from Peel Terry Rigaux who got a hat-trick on his debut. Others who contributed to a harsh early lesson for Youth Centre about life in the premier league were Gary Quirk (2), Sean Gavin, Martin King, Robbie Ward and Craig Stewart. Old Boys led 5-1 at half-time, and Youth Centre's sole reply came when Sean Kelly converted a spot kick.

In contrast, the other promoted side, St John's, came from behind to start their season with a 2-1 win, at home to Corinthians. Darren Cain scored direct from a 30-yard right-wing cross to give Corinthians a first half lead, but Nick Hurt and Steve Glover turned it around after the break. Glover's winner, against his old club, came on the hour.

St Mary's entertained Ayre in a late kick-off at Pulrose United's pitch. They won 2-1, with both goals coming from Steve Priestnal.

A hat-trick from Jamie Moffatt gave weakened Ramsey a surprise 3-1 win at Castletown. It was 2-0 to the visitors after 45 minutes, and Mike Edge, a new signing from Rushen, netted for the town.

Gymns, who finished just above the drop zone last season, began with a disheartening 6-1 defeat at home to Rushen. They were 4-1 down by half-time, with Rushen's goals coming from Josh Kelly (2, including a penalty), Jack Saxon, Aaron Hawley, Michael Baker and Ted Pepper. Mark McCarrick scored for Gymns.

In division two, new-look Marown wiped the floor with Braddan in a game which they will hope sets the tone for the rest of their season. Playing away from home, they put ten goals past their opponents, without reply. Evergreen Juan 'Kipper' Killip got half the goals, and there were further strikes from Gary Thomas (2), Ryan Holdaway, Richard Mulhearn and an unnamed Braddan player! It was 3-0 to the visitors at half-time.

Union Mills, who missed out on promotion on the last day of last season, also had a big away win as the new campaign got under way. Their 6-0 victory at Pulrose was thanks to goals from Alexander Suckling (2), Matt Cain, Steve Quine, David Hicks and an own goal. They led 4-0 at the interval.

Last season's 'wooden spooners' Ronaldsway produced the surprise of the day, winning 1-0 away to Michael, who dropped down from the top flight at the end of the 2010-2011 campaign. Liam Crawley scored the only goal of the game, in the second half. It was a very encouraging start for the southern side, who only managed two victories, both away from home, in the whole of last season.

Onchan, weakened by moves away from the club during the summer, succumbed to four second half goals, away to Douglas Royal. Craig Dolmen grabbed a brace, and two Gareths, Boorman and Gawne, got the others.

Two goals from Anton Teare helped Douglas and District to a 3-1 win as their season began away to Malew. Laurence Looney was their other scorer.

Last seasons champions in the two combination divisions both got off to winning starts.

Peel made an emphatic statement winning 2-0 away to 2010-2011 combination one runners up St George's. Their goals both came in the second half, and were scored by Kerry Walker and Daniel Pickering.

Reigning combination two champions Union Mills had a predictable win, 3-1 at home to Pulrose. They were 2-0 up after 45 minutes and their scorers were Eddie Howland, Sean Trailor and Craig Ennett. Pulrose replied with a penalty.

More from Isle of Man Sport