On Air The Late Show Stu Peters | 10:00pm - 1:00am

Cup holders survive scare

Peel defeat Union Mills in shoot-out

Holders Peel survived a scare before booking their place in the first round of the Ascot Hotel Junior Cup on Saturday.

They needed a penalty shoot-out to progress in their preliminary round tie with Union Mills.

It finished 2-2 after extra-time with the westerners triumphing 4-2 on spot-kicks at Douglas Road.

Johnny Cain netted the winning penalty after home goalkeeper Owen Dawson had produced two saves.

Andy Quirk and Greg Kelly scored the goals in normal time for Peel with Lee Christian and Micky Crellin, with a late leveller, on target for Union Mills in the initial 90 minutes.

Last season’s runners-up Corinthians were 6-1 winners at Marown, thanks to goals from Louis Griffiths (two), James Lees (two), Jordan Cowin and substitute Nigel Moody.

Robert Thorn scored for the home side.

Corinthians will meet Rushen in the next round after a second half goal from Charlie Jackson saw off St Mary’s at Croit Lowey.

Robbie Ward scored the only goal as Old Boys saw off Laxey 1-0 in a game switched to the Bowl.

Combination One side St John’s were too strong for Combination Two leaders Douglas Royal.

They won 3-1 at Ballafletcher after Royal had taken the lead.

Governor’s Athletic threatened a major shock when they went in front in their tie with Colby through Mitchie McCann.

However, their spirited challenge was ended as Nigel Goldsmith, Phil Faragher and David Thomas grabbed the southern goals in a 3-1 success.

Ramsey Youth Centre went on the rampage with a 9-0 triumph at Michael.

Rashid Abdulman (two), Mike Nixon (two), John Shepherd (two), Rob Moreton, Martin Murphy and veteran Ray Leech were the marksmen.

Eight of the goals came in the second period.

There were also goals galore at Pulrose where Braddan were 6-0 winners.

Geoff Murphy, Adam McCulloch, Adam Phair, Steven Horner and Michael Hutton (two) all found the net.

More from Isle of Man Sport