On Air Sensational 70s Chris Williams | 1:00pm - 4:00pm

Kendal Town hammer FC Isle of Man

Photo Credit: Gary Weightman/Vannin Photos

Ravens hit for six on day to forget in Cumbria

FC Isle of Man suffered one of their heaviest league defeats to date as they were subjected to a 6-1 hammering at the hands of Kendal Town in the NWCFL Premier Division this afternoon.

The hosts netted five in a ruthless-first half display with a brace from James Bailey and strikes from Matthew Dudley, Leyton Holden and Steven Yawson putting Kendal Town in control with FC Isle of Man striking once in the first period through a Sean Doyle penalty.

Despite a marginally improved second-half showing, the Ravens couldn't stop Yawson bagging a second and Kendal's sixth with 20 minutes to go.

The Manx side's day in Cumbria got off to the worst possible start as they found themselves behind after 45 seconds as Dudley nodded home a close-range finish from Steven Yawson's cross.

Moments later, Paul Jones' side were cut open again as a slick Kendal break was rounded off with Bailey's calm finish under FC Isle of Man goalkeeper, Ben Wilkinson to double the hosts' advantage.

With FC Isle of Man still reeling, Kendal Town proved ruthless again with just six minutes on the clock - a goalmouth scramble from a Kendal Town corner ended with Leyton Holden stabbing an effort into the net to make it 3-0.

With a mountain to climb from the early stages, The Island outfit began to steady the ship and earned their first big opening with 14 minutes played after being awarded a penalty following an infringement from Kendal Town's Martin Grundy - Doyle then duly converted to get the Ravens on the scoresheet.

But just eight minutes later, Kendal Town restored their three-goal cushion with Bailey converting his second goal of the game courtesy of a second assist of the afternoon to that point from Yawson.

The architect of two goals already, Yawson himself then got in on the act on 27 minutes cutting in from wide before shaping an effort past Wilkinson to get 'The Mintcakes' fifth of the day and to round off a miserable first half for the Ravens.

With a huge amount of work to do in the second 45, FC Isle of Man began to take a greater control of possession in the opening exchanges but continued to struggle in their attempts to test Christopher Cheetham in the Kendal Town goalmouth.

A positive moment came shortly after the hour mark as Daniel Hattersley entered the contest to make his FC Isle of Man debut, nearly having an instant impact as he set up Doyle who could only put a resulting header straight at Cheetham.

But once again, the Island side were to be punished as Yawson bagged his second of the game slotting past Wilkinson again with Dudley this time the provider.

FC Isle of Man's next match will be at home against West Didsbury & Chorlton on Saturday, 2 March, kicking-off at 6pm.

More from Isle of Man Sport