On Air The Saturday Social Kim & Simon Quine | 10:30am - 12:30pm

Town through to Tinker Cup final

Castletown beat St John’s in the semi-final of the Standard Bank Tinker Cup yesterday.

The southerners were in top form as they dismissed the Saints for 163 and then knocked off the runs for the loss of only three wickets.

St John’s quickly lost four wickets before the brothers Greg and Nick Hawke rebuilt the innings.

They were on top of the bowling before Gareth Morris entered the attack and dismissed Nick for 24 and Greg for a fine 43.

Morris ended with 4 for 42, leaving the Town a target of 165 for victory.

Their batsmen soon took control with Travis Friend hitting 30 and that man Morris making 43.

When they were out, Mark Williams guided his side home with an unbeaten 32.

Castletown now meet cup holders Ramsey in the Final at Tromode on Sunday 9th August.

Meanwhile on Saturday a dramatic day in the Standard Bank Premiership saw leaders Ramsey defeated at Castletown, St John’s going joint top after beating Cronkbourne and Loaghtyn getting the better of Crosby.

All the matches were cut short by Saturday night’s torrential downpour and were decided on run-rate.

Castletown’s victory stemmed from a mammoth second wicket stand of 206 from Gareth Morris (137) and Christian Steriopulos (75).

The southerners ended on 287 for 9 and had reduced Ramsey to 127 for 7 when the rains came.

It was a tight match at Tromode where Cronkbourne were dismissed for 221.

Alex Stokoe cracked 65 and Chris Hawke took 4 for 24.

St John’s had reached 164 for 6 when the match was abandoned but in a very close call, the Saints were declared the winners on a fractionally higher run-rate.

Crosby must be regretting dropping Loaghtyn opener Chris Nash before he scored.

In a game reduced to 35 overs because of the early rains, the Marown side had made a creditable 194 for 5.

In reply the Rams immediately went on the attack with Nash surviving that early chance to smash 77 not out.

Loaghtyn took the points after scoring at over six an over when the game was called off.

More from Isle of Man Sport