On Air The Afternoon Show Alex Brindley | 3:00pm - 5:30pm

Care worker praises medical teams after collapsing during client visit

Aretha Lawson suffered gash to the head after falling in driveway

A Manx care worker says she plans on raising funds for the Great North Air Ambulance Service after they came to her aid when she collapsed during a home visit.

Aretha Lawson from Jurby became unwell whilst helping her 93-year-old client get dressed on the morning of 6 March.

She then collapsed in the driveway and her husband Julian, who she'd called for help, arrived and called emergency services. 

The Isle of Man Ambulance Service called on the help of the Great North Air Ambulance Service (GNAAS), who arrived on scene within minutes.

Aretha was taken to Noble's Hospital where she was treated for a cut to her head as well as injuries to her legs.

Mrs Lawson said: “I am a carer, and I was at a client’s house doing my usual jobs when all of a sudden, I started to feel very sick and dizzy and sweaty.

“I excused myself and told the lady I was looking after that I was going to get some fresh air. The next thing I remember is waking up on the concrete outside of her house.”

“The knees of my trousers were all ripped and rotten and I had a terrible cut to the head, so I really had hit the floor with some force, but I didn’t know then how bad it was.

“Julian called 999 and the Isle of Man Ambulance Service arrived.

“The first ambulance arrived and told Julian I was very ill, and it wasn’t long until a second ambulance arrived. I’ve been told my heart wasn’t beating properly and the team of paramedics were working on me for a long time.”

GNAAS’ critical care team that day on the charity’s Pride of Cumbria II helicopter was made up of doctor Ric Procter, paramedics Sarah Graham and Mike Sproat, and pilot, Stu Rushton.

Mrs Lawson said: “I remember saying to Julian ‘go in and see her’ as I knew she would need help inside her house with her breakfast.

“I was a mess when I got to hospital. I had bashed my face big style, had a gash on my eye, had twisted my knees and bruised my whole leg.

“They did tests on me and scans to see why I had collapsed but they just couldn’t pinpoint what it was which is so scary.”

“Before my accident, I hadn’t heard of GNAAS but now I follow all of their social media pages and I plan on doing fundraising for them this year.”

“They still don’t know what caused me to collapse that day, so I am definitely trying to slow down, focus on myself and listen to my body.”


More from Isle of Man News