On Air Sweet & Swing Howard Caine | 9:00pm - 10:00pm

Christina Collister inquest to continue next week

The inquest into the death of Douglas woman Christina Collister will continue on Monday.

This morning the court has been hearing more evidence from the driver of the car which struck her.

Mrs Collister died more than two weeks after the accident, having left hospital after 16 days in Noble's with leg injuries following the incident outside Ellan Vannin Gymnastics Club in November 2011.

This morning the driver of the car, Joshua Brown who was seventeen at the time told the inquest he was doing 20 mph when the accident happened.

However, police officer Stephen Hall showed a DVD reconstruction of the incident to show how it's thought the accident happened and speed tests showed that for the car to lost control it had to be going faster than 20 mph. The speed limit on the section of road at the time was 30mph - it's since been lowered to 20 mph. PC Hall said for the car to lose control at the lower speed, it would have to have suffered outside interference such as sharp steering or breaking.

He concluded it wasn't clear how the car lost control,but it was traveling between 18 and 25 mph when it hit Mrs Collister. PC Hall says there was no evidence that the car had been doing handbrake turns in the car park, but with the wet weather at the time any such evidence may have been washed away.

This afternoon PC Hall will face questions from Mr Brown's and Mr Collister's representatives.

The inquest will continue on Monday to allow for a passenger in the car, Joshua Bettony to travel to the Island from the UK.




More from Isle of Man News