Toaster pinpointed as cause of blaze
A faulty toaster is thought to be responsible for a fire on Queens Promenade in Douglas this morning.
Four fire engines, police and ambulance vehicles attended a third floor flat in Millennium Court Apartments earlier.
Around a dozen firefighters from Douglas and Laxey stations were summoned to the building wearing breathing apparatus, with the occupant of the flat safely evacuated along with other residents.
Traffic was briefly brought to a standstill outside.
The building was said to be heavily smoke logged, and had to be checked to ensure all occupants were out of each flat.
Neighbours have been thanked for the quick thinking in helping the occupier to escape uninjured.
Earlier this morning station officer Roger Brown described the scene: