On Air The Morning Show Marc Tyley | 9:30am - Noon

Fire crews tackle tumble dryer fire in Douglas

Fire and Rescue Service issue electrical safety tips

Fire crews were called to a tumble dryer fire in Douglas this morning.

The incident on Ballabrooie Drive was caused by an overloaded plug socket.

In response, the Fire Service has issued safety tips to reduce the risk of electrical fires.

You're advised not to overload sockets and to unplug appliances which aren't being used.

The full advice from Station Officer Gawne is as follows:

- Don’t overload plug sockets
- Regularly check for frayed or worn cables and wires
- Unplug appliances when not in use
- Keep electrical appliances in clean and good working order
- Check for British or European safety mark
- Always check that you use the right fuse to prevent overloading
- Don’t leave electrical devices such as mobile phones charging on soft materials such as beds

Never use water on an electrical fire and don’t take risks with your safety.  Pull the plug or switch the power off if it safe to do so.  Get out, stay out and call 999.

More from Isle of Man News