On Air Night Flight | 1:00am - 5:00am

Fire prompts cable warning

Smoke alarm prevented injury

There's been a stark warning about overloading plug sockets, after a house fire in Douglas over the weekend.

Fire crews were called to a property on Victoria Road shortly before 6am on Saturday.

Crews using breathing apparatus extinguished the blaze, which was later found to have started from an electrical fault underneath a desk.

Station officer Mark Caley says the incident demonstrates the importance of smoke alarms which, in this case, prevented injury.

He's also reminded residents to take care with extension cables, keep wires untangled and not to leave chargers for electronic devices plugged in overnight.

More from Isle of Man News