On Air Saturday Night Live Mike Reynolds | 10:00pm - 1:00am

Health worker saves patient from fire

Woman praised for early hours rescue

An elderly Douglas woman had a lucky escape from a house fire this morning, thanks to the quick actions of a healthcare worker.

Neighbours of the 93-year-old, who suffers from dementia, raised the alarm at around 1am when smoke was seen billowing from the house in Mountain View.

Her community support worker was first on the scene, and safely evacuated the lady before firefighters arrived - she was then taken to hospital.

Crews say the blaze was caused by a portable halogen heater igniting the carpet.

The Fire and Rescue Service has thanked the worker for her bravery, and underlined the importance of having working smoke alarms.

More from Isle of Man News