On Air Night Flight | Midnight - 5:00am

Householders escape but family pet dies in blaze

Fire crews have been tackling a serious blaze at a house in Peel this afternoon.

The fire in a property in St Patrick's view on the outskirts of the town, has claimed the life of a family pet.

The alarm was raised at 2.30 this afternoon. Three crews from Peel, Douglas and Kirk Michael arrived to find the house in St Patrick's View heavily smoke-logged and fire fighters wearing breathing apparatus using a thermal imaging camera began the search inside.

The outbreak was traced to the kitchen where items left on a hob had caught fire, the blaze spreading quickly.

The kitchen was most severely damaged while the rest of the property has suffered smoke and heat damage.

During their search crews found the family dog overcome by smoke in an upstairs bedroom. They later buried the animal for its distressed owners.

Crews were at the scene for an hour and a half, using a high pressure hose to douse the blaze.

They're emphasising the vital need for householders to fit and regularly test smoke detectors.

More from Isle of Man News