Police in the Isle of Man say they are prepared to crack down on internet bullies.
It follows the conviction of 19-year-old Wayne Vincent Dale, who used the social networking site Facebook to falsely accuse a former work colleague at the Island's B&Q store of being one of the killers of James Bulger.
Sentencing Dale in Douglas on Friday, Deputy High Bailiff Alastair Montgomerie said spreading the rumour could have seriously endangered an innocent man, given the strength of feeling over the Bulger case.
After Dale's case concluded, Detective Inspector Iain MacMillan said the victim had been badly affected by the rumour and gossip started by the defendant.
He said the misuse of social networking sites was taken seriously by the Isle of Man Constabulary, and any concerns should be reported immediately.
The numbers to ring are 631212 for Police Headquarters or 0800 555 111 for the anonymous Crimestoppers line.
James Bulger was a two-year-old child from Kirby on Merseyside, who was abducted and murdered by two ten-year-old boys in February 1993.
His killers, Robert Thompson and Jon Venables, were given new identities when they were released from custody in 2001.
Strict rules laid down by the courts in the United Kingdom protect Thompson and Venables from being identified.